Monday, March 3, 2014

From the Land of "Borgen"

Although I don't watch much in the way of television these days, I did see all three seasons of "Borgen", the Danish political drama with a similar appeal and character depth akin to "The West Wing", and last night after the Academy Awards, I found the Danish short film "Helium" (winner of this year's Oscar for Best Live Action Short Film) on iTunes available for a very reasonable price ($2 for SD, $3 for HD).

It is a 22 minute film dealing with death, hope, imagination and love.  How it dealt with such a compelling subject was through a gently subtle understatement in much the same way the political drama covered the evolution of its principal protagonist without being overly dramatic or obvious the way TV often is presented here.

I am very pleased to have a copy for my library.  Heartily recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment