Sunday, March 30, 2014

Preparing for a long journey away

In some ways the day before a long trip is more nerve-wracking than actually starting the trip, in terms of packing, trying to mentally prepare for as many contingencies as humanly possible...and here my background with the space program is not as helpful as one might think because preparing for every contingency usually means overthinking and then forgetting something simple and essential...like an emery board...check! paying rent...check!  paying utilities...check!  packing extra toothpaste and underwear...check!

I've been living with this trip to Wisconsin for several weeks so getting it underway finally tomorrow means closure and a restoring of perspective (friends who are musicians are sometimes on the road for months or at least multiple weeks instead of the mere 11 days here, which amuses me but doesn't drive the point home as much as it will when I am safely back) that will help me view things with at least something of the requisite clarity and balance I like to think I have from time to time but haven't felt for a couple of days now.

After all, I remind myself it is a state I haven't been to for forty (!!!) years and I doubt I'll return to again (unless I get assigned to it again...one never knows, like the inventory report I was switched to at the last minute that called for visits to Albany, Redmond, Klamath Falls and White City...and which turned out better than expected)...but any adventure is worth pursuing once the correct attitude is in place.

I think I'd feel less anxious if I wasn't still battling this nagging minor head cold...it's been around since Tuesday/Wednesday, and it's been serious enough to make me feel somewhat punk and unambitious...this morning, I felt bad enough on waking to take a hot shower, and when that didn't help as much as I hoped it might, I took a sudafed clone and when that didn't help, I took a real sudafed...and that finally helped relieve my symptoms enough to make me move around and start doing useful tasks around the house.

It's funny how when one's day isn't progressing smoothly, it seems like all sorts of things proceed to 'gang' up on you...today is the first time I can remember my printer not working as well as it normally does, and a small software app that allows an iPad to charge off a USB port on my home PC quit working after about an hour, and I have no idea why.  We aren't so technologically advanced not to believe in gremlins when such disparate events happen one after another.

No comments:

Post a Comment